Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Chico and the Man

I got kind of a nice surprise when I got home for lunch today.

No, not the leftover chili from Sunday Football Day... SunTV out of Toronto is playing Chico and the Man.

I haven't seen it replayed in years and it was really cool to watch something that I remembered from very early in my childhood...very early. As a wee lad I remember thinking it was pretty cool that Chico got to sleep in a van.

Sure it a little bit racist, a little bit sexist and a little bit ageist but the interaction and timing of these two guys was dead on. It's almost vaudeville in nature with each constantly firing jokes and comebacks at each other.

The jokes played on stereotypes of latinos much like the "Mind Of Mencia" and "George Lopez" shows of today. There's just something about some of the jokes in Chico that make me turn around to see who's listening. Strange how times have changed.




It's such a great song by Jose Feliciano eh? I'm positive you'll be humming that tune all day.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

I love lowriders and that show had 'em. You never saw those driving down the streets of Ontario.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I've had that song on my IPOD for a while now. It's so mellow.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Are you hiding?

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home