Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rehab??

Hi dear readers,

Another post?? Wow...only a month after the last one, can you stand it??

As I mentioned in my previous post I took on a new job. Some would say it was a bad move, this new job pays a little less that the last, it has work hours that are erratic and far from the normal 9 to 5 so to some people I made a bad decision. Not that anyone really says this to my face but how many times do I have to hear "so, do you like your new job?" from the same people to know what they are getting at. Do they truly care how I am doing?? I'm not sure.

I am kind of getting sick of it.

I think they are actually looking for some kind of bitter schadenfraude against me. I don't know why they would want to be able to smirk and say "man, you really should have stayed where you were, that was a really dumb decision", but that's what seems to be happening. Is it so they feel better about themselves? Do they have some scorn against me?

Man...

A couple of things:

-I like this new job.
-I enjoy the interaction with customers and employees.
-I am learning new skills
-I actually have a chance of advancement
-there are benefits, pension plans and RRSP plans


But there is one huge change that i did not anticipate and one that i am not sure is real or imagined....

With the Old Job I always had a sore back. It had become an affliction to which i had resigned to have the rest of my life. I was someone "with a back problem". At the old job I was away from work a few days every couple of months because my back "went out" and I couldn't get out of bed or whatever. I had always just chalked it up to working too hard and too stupid. Lifting and pushing things by myself that needed two people was sometimes required to get a job done because boss refused to hire capable help and i paid for it with sharp pains in my lower back.

But now....now i feel great...i work harder at this new job. i'm on my feet for 8 hours at a time and I feel better than i did when i sat on my ass for 8 hours in front a computer. Sure there were those times when I was doing strenuous physical labour but they were sometimes weeks apart and only for a few hours at a time.

I haven't said anything to anyone for a month...the length of current employment...just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I talked to my doctor as well as some other physio people and they seem to agree that my back problems were probably due to stress.

Stress??

Me???

Honestly I ever felt stress in THAT job....not until the final few months...but now that i look back, an ineffective boss who refuses to communicate, makes idiotic decisions that would potentially cause unnecessary problems for workers sure can build a harmful burden of stress.

I think i now why people want to see my miserable...they are miserable themselves because they don't have the guts to leave their terrible jobs and they are jealous that i DO have the guts. i am proud of myself that i could see past the paycheck, i am proud of the fact that i am pretty adaptable, allowing me to successfully find work in different fields and excel.

Some would say that I have no purpose and no direction. Personally i like the fact that i am not chained to one single line of work. It's that old joke with me, I still don't know what i want to do when I grow up.

Sorry to vent..more fun stuff will come in the future

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home